Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Are you in need of a new recipe to use up all those tomatoes from your garden?


If your garden is anything like mine you should have more tomatoes than you know what to do with - this recipe is delicious and uses up a ton of them...plus it has bacon in it...everyone loves bacon.

This is what you will need:
Mushrooms (you can leave these out if your not a fan), bow tie pasta, 1/4 cup red wine (I used yellow tail pino noir - don't make fun of my cheap wine!), 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup Pecarino Romano cheese, BACON (I used a low sodium center cut), onion, 4 garlic cloves, and tomatoes (I use a combination of cherry and regular)!  Simple!  Now listen people...I don't really follow recipes.  I used what I have in my fridge, cupboards and garden.  If you don't have something I am sure you can substitute.  Whole wheat pasta would be a great healthy alternative...adding spinach would also be great.  This makes a ton of food - is perfect for a dinner party and would be great with a salad and garlic bread.

Now here is what you do:
Dice and Cook Bacon

While the Bacon is cooking dice onions, garlic, tomatoes and mushrooms:


 Take Bacon out of the pan and drain out most of the bacon grease...leave about one tablespoon in the pan and put the onions and garlic in..cook until the onions are translucent.
Now you should start your water boiling to cook your pasta.  I highly encourage you to be drinking wine through out all of this and every once and a while eat a little piece of bacon...because bacon is delicious.
 Now add in all of the tomatoes and mushrooms:
This will have to cook down - it takes about 10 minutes...Then add in the wine...
Cook it down for 5-10 more minutes...now I know it looks very watery...its all of the lovely juices from the tomatoes...I have a trick for this..as soon as your pasta is al dente - drain it and put it in the sauce so it soaks up all of the juices!  Don't worry those arn't my man hands...my boyfriend is helping - it is still hard for me to cook with my broken  elbows!  Then add the bacon and cheese:



Stir all together and let simmer for a couple of minutes and then you have this delicousness!
By this time your house smells amazing and everyone in it is starving....so now time to eat!
Enjoy!  My boyfriend sure did, he had three huge plates...and we still had a ton of left overs!





No comments:

Post a Comment